Popular examples of liquid diets are slim fast
and the cabbage soup diet.
Cabbage Soup Recipe:
- 6 Large green onions
- 2 Green peppers
- 1 to 2 Cans of tomatoes (diced or whole)
- 1 Bunch of celery,
- 1/2 Head of cabbage
- 3 Carrots
- 1 Package of Lipton Onion Soup mix
- 1 to 2 Cubes of bouillon (optional)
- 1 48 oz. Can of V8 juice (optional)
- 1 10 oz. Container of mushrooms (optional)
- You can also season the soup with special
tastes of salt, pepper, parsley, curry, garlic powder, and others for the
taste you like.
Making the Soup:
1. Slice all of the green onions and put them
into a pot and begin to saute with cooking spray.
2. Cut the stem ends off the green peppers, cut them in half, take out the
seeds and membrane. Proceed to cut the green peppers into bite size pieces and
add to the pot.
3. Take the outer leafs layers off of the cabbage, and also cut into bite size
pieces, and add to the pot with the rest.
4. Clean the carrots, cut into bite size pieces, and add them to the pot as
5. (Optional) Now you can also add thickly sliced mushrooms into the mix
depending on your liking.
6. (Optional) For a soup that is spicy you should now add a small amount of
curry or cayenne pepper.
7. (Optional) You can add chicken or beef bouillon cubes, which contain salt
and other flavors, for the right seasonings that suits your taste buds.
8. Finally add in about 12 cups of water (or 8 cups of water and the 48 oz.
can of V8 juice).
9. Cover the pot with a lid and put the heat on low. Then let the soup cook
for about two hours, and when done season it further if necessary.
You can eat ALL the soup you
want, WHENEVER you want it.
If you can stick to this diet, you will lose
weight. Initially you will lose weight quickly, but as with all diets the
weight loss will slow down. Don't be surprise to lose 5 pounds in the
first week. Most of this is water weight, which will be regained if you
return to a normal diet.
Liquid diets are easy to follow and fast, but
they are also very low in calories and unfulfilling. You will feel hungry
most of the time and you are not learning new habits. When you return to
eating you will regain the weight, just because you never trained yourself to
eat in moderation or to eat healthy.
Though there have been many people that have
been successful with liquid diets, there are many many more that have failed.
Liquid diets like Slim Fast make a good supplement to your diet. The slim
fast diet suggests that you replace your breakfast and lunch with slim fast and
have a sensible dinner. Instead have a slim fast maybe 2-3 times a week as
a replacement when you find it difficult to have something healthy for a meal.
Slim fast is available almost everywhere including corner groceries or deli's,
or place a few cans at work. Otherwise these liquid diets are very hard to
stick to, because you will probably be hungry throughout the day.